Friday, June 15, 2012

Still alive and kicking

Things are a bit crazy right now with summer here.  Keeping the garden weeded, mowing grass, raising chickens and quail and still trying to find time to fit my job into all of this!

We are eating fresh vegetables out of our garden already and it will just keep accelerating through the year.  Tomatoes, squash, peppers, okra...yum!

Our sunflowers are growing like crazy and are already over 4 feet tall.  We had a windstorm come through and blew them over, but their stalk just makes a curve in it and keeps growing up.

Our quail are giving us more eggs than we know what to do with.  Right now that is a challenge, but in the near future, it could be a huge advantage.

The last batch of quail that were hatched are about 2 weeks away from the dinner plate.  11 weeks to eggs to dinner plate is not a bad turnaround time at all.

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to see pictures of your quail set-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds busy.
    I've thought of raising quail. The biggest issue I would have is my lovely wife not wanting to kill and eat what we raise. She said the other day, 'can we get some rabbits?' I said sure, rabbit meat is good eatin. I was in trouble.
    This too shall pass I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JacLynn, I will have to take some pics and post them and do a quick write up one of these days soon. Trust me, its nothing special. They have go to be the easiest thing to raise EVER! Even my dog is higher maintenance. I don't give them much room cuz I want them fattened up in short order (if you know what I am saying).

    JTHTTK, I know what you are saying brother! My youngest son thought it was the grandest thing ever to have a bunch of "little chickens". Once he realized why, it took him some time to come to grips with it, but now when we go to feed them, he asks me when we can eat them LOL.

    Rabbits are a great source of meat (as long as you have another source for fat) and something that I am contemplating in getting into next. The bad thing is that I have so many freaking rabbits around my place now that seem to enjoy my garden, I don't see the point, at least not yet.

    ReplyDelete