Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Simple Preps that could SAVE THE WORLD!

Ok, now that I have you attention (do I have your attention?)  I will get a bit more serious.  A few weeks ago my 10 year old son and I were sitting outside on our woodpile after doing some work outside.  I pulled out my handkerchief and wiped my face with it.  He looked at me and said that he needed one of those.  I threw mine over to him so he could wipe his sweat too.

I told him that a kerchief was a very important prep and EDC item.  He asked what else could it be used for, so we sat there feeling the unseasonably warm breeze on our face and proceeded to come up with scenarios and uses for our handkerchief.  Here are some of what we came up with.

- use it to blow your nose (novel concept for certain)
- wet down and tie around your neck to help cool you down
- carry acorns, berries, dry tinder for a fire etc
- use it for tinder for a fire in an emergency
- use it to bind up a wound
- use it to rough-filter water to prepare for final filtering/purifying/boiling
- wet it and use it to breath through in case of smoky surroundings
- tie it around your head like a doo-rag to help keep from losing heat
- tie it around your head to use to trap sweat to keep from getting in your eyes
- cut into strips to use for string or other binding material
- use as a flag or signaling device (camouflage probably wouldn't be the best choice for this)


That is about all that I can remember that we came up with off the top of my head.

Can you think of any others?



Over the next few days, I will be writing about EDC and some of the uses/instances/reasons that I carry what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment