Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Normalcy Bias or "It can't happen to me"

I survived a catastrophic hard drive failure of my computer.  It went to the point where I had to replace the hard drive and start over.  Even though I backed up my data, it had been a while since I had, so I lost some of my data.

As I looked back at it, I had developed a normalcy bias.  This is a fancy term for the wrong-minded thinking that because something has never happened, it will never happen, or to put it more succinctly, "it can't happen to me!"

Now the data that I lost is easy to replace; I had some ballistic charts that I had found and copied from the internet.  I had some downloaded PDF manuals and books etc.  But in the grand scheme of things, I didn't suffer any long term loss.

However, I think that it was more beneficial than harmful because it really caused me to step back and look at the way that I had been thinking and frankly, it startled and scared me a bit.  If it was so easy for me to ignore this simple thing, what else might I be overlooking?

No comments:

Post a Comment